National Trust for Historic Preservation

Volunteers Clean Detroit Fort with D/2

D/2 supplied a volunteer crew cleaning stonework at the Quartermaster's office and Married Officer’s Quarters at historic Fort Wayne in Detroit, Michigan. The fort is situated on the Detroit River at a point where it is about a mile to the Canadian shore. The original 1848 limestone barracks still stands, as does the 1845 star fortification (renovated in 1863 with brick facing). Outside the original star fort are additional barracks, officers quarters, hospital, shops, recreation building, commissary, guard house, garage, and stables.

D/2 at Work on Wright House Wood

In 1939 journalist Loren Pope and his wife Charlotte Pope commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design a new home. The design followed Wright's Usonian principles and was completed in 1941. The Pope-Leighey House "Usonian" house was developed by Wright as a means of providing affordable housing for people of moderate means. Many innovative concepts, including spacious interiors, corner windows, and a cantilevered roof, began here and were quickly adapted across America.